House Rental/Caretaker Position – NO LONGER AVAILABLE
House for Rent –
The house is a simple, functional, well kept, 900 SF A-frame. It has a bedroom loft above a main floor with living space, kitchen, and bath. Electric stove, oven and hot water heater. Wood stove with back up electric heat. Well water. Solid cell phone coverage. Power from West Oregon Electric Coop. Possible shared use of some barn space. Two, large, fenced garden spaces plus henhouses. Easy access through locked gate to paved road. Located on Timber Road between highway 26 and the community of Timber.
The house is at 1,000’ within a 160 acre family owned and operated working forest, directly adjacent to the Tillamook State Forest. A headwaters stream of the Nehalem River flows through the property and is home to spawning salmon each winter. As described at www.hylawoods.com, the forest is part of a larger sustainable forestry business. Activities happening within the forest include periodic logging and other forest-keeping activities. It takes 20 min. to drive to Forest Grove and 50 min. to Portland.
The rent of $500 is kept well below the standard rate for three main reasons:
1. Care Taking – One responsibility of renting is providing a low level of care taking for the forest, including keeping a general eye on the forest and alerting the owners of possible problems, taking care of small problems when they come up, and mowing during the growing season.
2. Remote Location – The house is in a remote, rural location.
3. A Country House – In this rural, forested setting one needs to be comfortable with and ready for the normal challenges – including winter snows, keeping mice in check, etc..
Non threatening pets are OK, with permission of the landlord. Smoking is not allowed in the house and is discouraged on the property. No more than two people, unless approved by landlord.
The ideal renter(s) will have a lifestyle that is a fit with living in this location, will come with an interest in the overall forest work, and will plan to make the house a long term residence.
• Comfort in living in a remote, rural location
• A record of being responsible and reliable
• Solid financial status
• Good references
• Skills, knowledge, and interests related to forests, sustainable forestry, and natural history
Rent = $500 with renter paying all utilities. Deposit of one month’s rent refundable following successful move out.
Those interested in applying to rent should write, or e-mail, a letter covering the following topics and send it to: Hyla Woods, 2330 NW Belgrave Ave., Portland 97210, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Who are you and what of your life circumstances are you comfortable sharing?
2. Why do you want to consider renting the house?
3. Why do feel you would be a good choice for us?
4. Housing information – current, past, future plans
5. References – at least two, with at least one being a current or former landlord or housing related contact, with contact information
We look forward to showing the house to candidates whose letters lead us to believe they would be a good fit. We are ready to rent as soon as possible, but the highest priority is finding renters who are an excellent fit with this unique situation.
Thank you for your interest