Pecha Kucha Follow Up Resources
Follow On Notes From Peter Hayes’ Pecha Kucha Presentation Feb. 12, 2015:
- First, the joke. How about: Q: What is the best definition of “perfect pitch”? A: When the accordion is thrown into the dumpster and it lands right on the banjo. (note – I am fully qualified to tell this type of cruel, discriminatory joke, given that I own and play both of these long ridiculed, fine instruments)
- Mumford’s Quote – A paraphrased it, in the interest of the ticking clock. Here is the real one: “I have seen a lot of scenery in my life, but I have seen nothing so tempting as a home for man than this Oregon country…… You have the basis here for civilization on its highest scale and I am going to ask you a question which you may not like……. Have you enough intelligence, imagination, and cooperation among you to make the best use of these opportunities?” I really like it because he was speaking to a room full of men who saw themselves as successful – and offered a different definition of success than most were measuring themselves by. City Club of Portland, 1938. Both of my grandfathers were probably there.
- Reconciliation – For a more thorough exploration, this might help: http://hylawoods.com/?p=297
- Family and Forests – More info on our ongoing relationship is here: http://hylawoods.com/?page_id=14. The book Downriver tells my great, great grandfather’s story and the book Boxing the Compass tells my grandfather’s.
- Status of Oregon Forests – There are many measures of how things are going. Examples include: 38 animal species that are forest dependent in NW Oregon being either extinct or in serious trouble, this indicator – http://www.oregon.gov/ODF/indicators/pages/indicatorEc.aspx , and the recent CZARA ruling by the federal government.
- Experiment with a Single Stand – Here is a recent write up: http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/42990/em9082.pdf Thanks to Amy Grotta of OSU Forestry Extension, and her colleagues.
- Monitoring and Analyzing Forest Health – http://hylawoods.com/?page_id=16 and http://hylawoods.com/?page_id=36
- For a Summary of Hyla Woods’ Work – http://hylawoods.com/?p=266
- Grower–Consumer Partnership – http://hylawoods.com/?p=274 and http://hylawoods.com/?p=270
- Build Local Alliance – www.buildlocalalliance.org. Next event set for March 30th in Portland. Come join the fun.
- Consumer Leadership – Here is one example of a local business voting with its pocketbook for reconciliation: http://www.buildlocalalliance.org/2014/01/food-front-cooperative-grocery/ and http://hylawoods.com/?p=384
- Upcoming – OPB’s Oregon Field Crew will take you to the forests Feb. 26th and later, through streamable video. http://www.opb.org/television/programs/ofg/episodes/2609/. We’ll see what stories they choose to tell.
Yes, there will be a test!
Happy to discuss and hear feedback on any and all.
Thank you for your interest. – peter